Safety & Backup
Quest4Change prides itself on having the highest standards, not only with the quality of our projects and expeditions, but equally with the safety, backup and professionalism with which we prepare and support our operations.
Forewarned is forearmed
- All project sites have been inspected personally by Quest directors, and are regularly visited by Quest staff to ensure our risk assessments and local relationships are at the highest level.
- Expedition routes are annually reviewed by senior operations staff, and left flexible for our our experienced leaders to update if needed.
- Risk Assessments are comprehensively undertaken prior to every expedition and shared with the group. These are updated on expedition by our expedition leader who has been trained in dynamic risk assessment.
- Our operations and risk assessments abide 100% by Foreign Office travel advice, which we monitor continuously.
- We advocate 'risk literacy' for all of our students and teachers, who are encouraged to take part in the ongoing dynamic risk assessment overseas, as a part of their thorough briefings and training in the UK and on the ground.
Recognition by experts
- Quest is British Standard 8848 compliant, a specification for the provision of visits, fieldwork, expeditions, and adventurous activities outside the United Kingdom. BS 8848 is a voluntary standard that can either be self-assessed or externally audited.
- Quest was the first dedicated volunteering organisation to be assessed as BS 8848 compliant by an independent body, by the Young Explorers Trust, in 2009 and repeated in 2012. Download a guide to 8848 here.
- Quest is an Associate Corporate Member of the Royal Geographical Society.
- Quest4Change complies with UK Tour Operator regulations, whereby companies are required to keep paticipants' funds in reserve until their trip actually takes place.
- Our overseas leaders are vetted thoroughly and are leaders in their field. They have extensive knowledge and experience of the countries and activities our trips involve. They are carefully selected and undertake thorough training both in the UK and overseas. This is to ensure we have the highest quality of leaders, with regard to their knowledge, enthusiasm and professionalism.
- Our leaders are first aid trained and receive further training from in Dr Jon Dallimore of Wilderness Medical Training.
- All leaders are have enhanced checks by the Disclosure and Barring Service (previously the CRB check).
Network of local contacts & friends
- Having worked in South America and Africa for many years, we have the additional support of our project partners, their local staff, embassy and consular support, contacts at our hostels, transport and activity providers.
- Our commitment to sustainabilty and local partnership means we work hard to ensure the community we are working with is fully supportive of our work and welcoming of us as their guests, for which we are grateful. Our project partnerships are long-term, which gives us the chance to build relationships over the years.
In case of emergency
- Our medical back up is second to none, with Dr Jon Dallimore of Wilderness Medical Training operating as our primary consultant, advising on all participants' medical information when they apply, as well as being on call for any incident during a project or expedition.
- Further to this, our contact network of doctors and private clinics on the ground ensures we have the best medical support realistically possible at all times.
- Quest has a long-standing relationship with insurance brokers Campbell Irvine, and together we have developed a specific policy for participants, which fully covers all activities whilst on our projects and expeditions, as well as providing cancellation coverage. This policy includes access to their emergency arm Specialty Assistance for all medical emergencies, who can arrange repatriation in the event of its medical necessity.
- We are on call in the UK 24 hours a day, 7 days a week whilst teams are overseas, so can be contacted any time of the day or night. Furthermore, you will always speak with one of our dedicated staff members, who have in-depth personal knowledge of our operations. Wed do not use call centres or third party support.